International Transactions and Investments
Musick Peeler’s International Group counsels an array of foreign-based companies investing in the U.S. as well as domestic companies that wish to expand their business operations abroad (including Asia, Europe, Canada, Australia, and Latin America). Members of our team have developed a deep understanding of the needs of our clients from those regions.
Ally Law Network
Our International Group benefits from our membership in Ally Law, an international network of independent business law firms providing local expertise to our clients throughout the world.
Our clients often find the expertise, experience, and professional contacts of our International Group useful in keeping current with developments in new and emerging sectors of the economy and in structuring complex transactions in the rapidly-moving international market.
Areas of Focus
Our International Group provides strategic advice and technical expertise in a vast array of international business transactions, including:
- Corporate finance, investment and mergers & acquisitions
- Business formation
- Joint ventures and strategic alliance transactions in a wide range of industries
- Intellectual property protection
- Real estate acquisition, finance and development
- International employee secondment agreements
- Oil and gas, renewable energy and mining
- Project financing
Our International Clients
We advise a broad cross-section of international business enterprises, from small start-up companies to multinational publicly traded corporations. Our clients include businesses in banking, high-tech, Internet, real estate development, mining, infrastructure, product and services arrangements, farming, ranching, medical device, health care, automotive, pharmaceuticals, renewable energy and bio tech industries.
We have a number of bilingual attorneys who are proficient in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Cantonese, Japanese, Dutch, French, Arabic, and other languages.
Our International Vision
We advise clients on the investment climate, strategic partnering and the particular constraints and advantages of international commerce,
Musick Peeler’s International Group has played a key role in promoting the passage of trade agreements. At the invitation of the business community, chambers of commerce, and trade associations, members of the group have provided statements to governments and business leaders in support of a variety of international trade agreements.
Representative Transactions and Investments Matters
A sampling of recent international transactions handled by the International Group have included the following:
- Represented a Canadian public company with Mexican investors in the acquisition of a California-based mining operation.
- Assisted a Mexico-based food processor negotiate key agreements with several prominent California-based food chains.
- Assisted a California-based consortium of nations and universities collaborate on designing, building and operating in Chile one of the world’s largest telescopes (contemplated to be the world’s largest public-private funded science project).
- Assisted a world top five electronic manufacturing service company, publicly listed in Thailand, in acquisition of U.S. health care and defense related companies.
- Assisted a Taiwan publicly held BBQ grill manufacturer in acquiring the national chain of Barbeques Galore from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
- Assisted the largest Asian EDS company in acquisition of five U.S. technology companies in a single merger transaction.
- Assisted a Hong Kong broker-dealer in structured finance transactions, raising more than $100 million.
- Assisted a Taiwan based electronic company in acquisition of manufacturing facility in Mexico and planning of global products shipment.
- Assisted a Chinese owned Peruvian casino in going public in the U.S. through reverse merger.
- Represented a Chinese bank in financing a renewable energy project.
- Identified and negotiated joint venture agreements for the manufacturing of auto parts in Mexico.
- Structured Banking operations in California for Latin American investors.
- Assisted California residents in the sale of real estate in Mexico.
- Structured manufacturing and assembly operations in Mexico.
International Arbitration and Litigation
Musick Peeler’s International Group offers its clients a high level of expertise in international arbitration and litigation. Our attorneys have acted in disputes brought under a wide range of arbitration rules including those of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), UNCITRAL, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI) and the World Intellectual Property Institute (WIPO) and the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC). Our international arbitration specialists have represented clients before tribunals located in jurisdictions around the world, including Amsterdam, The Hague, London, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna, Geneva, Zurich, Frankfurt, Toronto, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai and in various US States.
Representative International Arbitration and Litigation Matters
- Lead counsel for a European contractor in a multi-party ICC arbitration arising out of a renewable energy project in the state of Oregon.
- Acting for a general contractor in an ICC arbitration arising out of a port project in the Middle-East, seated in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The applicable law was that of the UAE.
- Acting for a licensor in a Netherlands Arbitration Institute arbitration in Brussels, Belgium, arising out of an agreement to license automotive technology. The applicable law was Netherlands law.
- Acting for a contractor in an ICC arbitration in Zurich, Switzerland arising out of an infrastructure project in Taipei, Taiwan. The applicable law was the Swiss Federal Code of Obligations.
- Acting for a software developer in a World Intellectual Property Organization dispute arising out a failed joint venture, seated in Geneva, Switzerland. The applicable law was the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (2004).
- Acting for a US distributor in a multi-party arbitration under the Netherlands Arbitration Institute rules arising out of claims of business tort and a master distribution agreement. The applicable laws were Illinois and Netherlands law.
- Acting for a manufacturer of marine equipment in an ICC arbitration in Zurich, Switzerland in a dispute arising out of a supply contract with a ship-yard. The applicable law was that of the Convention on the International Sale of Goods and Swiss law.
- Defended the Chinese parent company and its U.S. subsidiary in a complex licensing contractual dispute against MPEG LA.
- Prosecuted a fraud case on behalf of Chinese investors against promoters of hotel development projects.
- Defended a China based company in a product liability action brought by domestic insurance companies.
- Defended a local general contractor and the subsidiary of an Asian food company against a well-known publicly held Asian hotel chain in a failed hotel joint venture dispute.
- Resolved a dispute among the heirs of a successful founder of a multinational corporation, involving assets across China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, the U.S. and Europe.
- Represented a Mexican bank charged with money laundering in U.S. courts, resulting in a dismissal of the proceedings.
DOWNLOAD PDF: International Arbitration Brochure
- Stephen L. Bradford
- Tim T. Chang
- Peter J. Diedrich
- Michelle C. Ferrara
- Laura K. Kim
- Michael F. Klein
- Kristine E. Kwong
- Nathan D. O’Malley
- Giorgio A. Sassine