Michael F. Klein
Michael F. Klein is a partner in the Firm's San Diego office, chairs the Firm's Technology Committee and is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee. For more than twenty five years, Mr. Klein has served as a trusted advisor and outside general counsel to companies and their boards of directors in a number of industries, including health care, insurance, retail and manufacturing.
In addition to his advisory roles, Mr. Klein's practice also focuses on the representation of clients involved in business, consumer and class action litigation in a broad range of industries with an emphasis on serving clients in the health care, managed care, insurance, transportation, and real estate sectors. Mr. Klein has successfully litigated a multitude of high-stakes matters such as:
- The defense of a leading U.S. health insurer in a commercial arbitration involving reimbursement claims in excess of $25 million.
- The defense of multiple insurers in a first party bad faith claim exceeding $15 million.
- The defense of a leading U.S. HMO in a consumer class action involving allegations of deceptive business practices.
- The defense of one of the world's largest technology direct marketers in multiple claims involving competition and civil rights.
- Appointment as special counsel by the State of California Department of Developmental Services in connection with the investigation of a Regional Center board of directors.
- The defense and prosecution of multiple claims involving employee raiding and competition on behalf of one of the largest independent insurance brokerages in the United States.
- The defense of numerous California hospitals, physician groups and clinics in a wide variety of regulatory, administrative and statutory claims brought by, among others, the Office of the California Attorney General and the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Mr. Klein also provides regulatory and governance advice to clients in the healthcare and insurance industries. He also regularly assists clients in compliance matters and investigations involving Medicare/Medicaid billing, fraud waste and abuse, and transactions in highly regulated industries, including multi-million dollar healthcare combinations.
As part of his regulatory practice, Mr. Klein also advises clients regarding federal and state privacy and data security laws. In this capacity, Mr. Klein works closely with clients to develop compliance and risk management plans to comply with relevant state and federal laws and the deployment of appropriate insurance strategies designed to hedge against the risk of a potential data breach or other cyber-liability claim.
Admissions & Associations
State Bar of California
Health Care Law Committee of the State Bar of California (Member 2001-2005; Co-Secretary 2002-3, Vice Chair, Education 2003-2004; Co-Chairman 2004-2005)
American Health Lawyers Association, Member
California Society of Healthcare Attorneys, Member
Medical Group Management Association, Member
Citrus Valley Medical Center's Ethics Committee, Past Member
- Consumer Credit, Privacy & Data Security
- Health Care
- Insurance Litigation & Coverage
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, J.D.
University of Redlands, B.A.
Awards & Recognitions
AV Preeminent Peer Review Ratings