Laura K. McAvoy is a partner in the Firm's Ventura County office with specialized focus in the areas of corporate, limited liability company and partnership counsel, oil and gas, real estate, estate planning, long range family management planning and trust administration, purchases and sales of businesses, and general business law.
Ms. McAvoy's extensive experience includes general oil and gas leasing and other business matters, general contract negotiations, family wealth and estate planning, trust administration and real estate matters.
Ms. McAvoy has served as general counsel to several New York Stock Exchange companies, focused in the oil and gas industry and real estate investment. She also served as general counsel to a large Ventura County based financial institution. Ms. McAvoy currently acts in a general counsel role for a number of families in and outside of Ventura County whose assets have diversified over the generations into multiple types of businesses. She has extensive experience in estate planning and trust administration serving families with a broad range and size of assets. She also advises small and mid-sized distribution, agriculture and agricultural cooperatives, manufacturing and service companies. Ms. McAvoy also has extensive experience in the non-profit sector, serving as counsel, and as a board member, for a number of organizations.
- Trusted Advisor 2013, San Fernando Valley Business Journal
- Pacific Coast Business Times Editor’s Choice in Business, March 2008
- Pleasant Valley Historical Society Dona Award, August 2007
- Camarillo Rotary Living Treasure Award, April 2003
- President’s Achievement Award, California State University Channel Islands 2001
- Advancing the Status of Women Award, Soroptimists International of Oxnard 2000
- Ventura County Volunteer of the Year Award 2000, National Philanthropy Day
- M. Woman of the Year Award, Mary Health of the Sick 1998
- Grand Marshal Ventura County Fair Parade 1997
- Milton M. Teague Community Service Award, United Way of Ventura County 1995
- Ben E. Nordman Public Service Award, Ventura County Bar Association 1993
- Interface: Children Family Services Public Community Service Award with mother, Amy McAvoy, 1990
Ms. McAvoy's current community affiliations are as follows:
- Livingston Memorial Visiting Nurse Association and Livingston Caregivers, Chairman of the Board, Board Member
- Livingston Memorial Foundation, Chairman of the Board, Director
- United Way of Ventura County, Board Member
- American Heart Association – Go Red for Women, Executive Leadership Team
Past community affiliations have been as follows:
- Ventura County Community Foundation, Founding Board Member, Secretary-Treasurer
- St. John's Hospitals, Community Advisory Board, Board Member
- St. John’s Healthcare Foundation, Board Member
- Past Chairman of the Board, Member of the Executive Committee – United Way of Ventura County
- California State University Channel Islands President’s Advisory Board, Chairman
- California State University Northridge, Channel Islands Campus, Community Advisory Board, Chairman/Member
- California State University Channel Islands Foundation, Board Member and Secretary/Treasurer
- Interface: Children, Family Services, Board of Directors
- Spanish Hills Golf & Country Club, Member, Founding Board of Governors
- Ventura County Bar Association, Member of the Board of Directors
- California Independent Petroleum Association, Board of Directors.
ADMISSIONS & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS