Laura K. McAvoy is a partner in the Firm's Ventura County office with specialized focus in the areas of corporate, LLC and partnership counsel, agricultural cooperative, oil and gas, real estate, estate planning, long range legal family management planning and trust administration, purchases and sales of businesses, securities compliance and general business law and nonprofit formation and function.
Ms. McAvoy's extensive experience includes complex oil and gas and other business acquisitions and dispositions, general contract negotiations, family wealth and estate planning, trust administration, real estate matters and securities compliance.
Ms. McAvoy served as general counsel to Berry Petroleum Company, a publicly traded New York Stock Exchange oil and gas production company, Real Estate Investment Trust of California, which was also a NYSE listed real estate investment trust, and to Bank of A. Levy. Ms. McAvoy acts in a general counsel role for a number of families in Ventura County whose assets have diversified over the generations into multiple types of businesses. She has extensive experience in estate planning and trust administration serving families with a broad range and size of assets. She also advises small and mid-sized distribution, agriculture, manufacturing and service companies. Ms. McAvoy also has extensive experience in the non-profit arena, serving as counsel for several, as well as a board member for a number of organizations.
- Community and Public Services Award, San Fernando Valley Business Journal, August 2013
- Pacific Coast Business Times Editor’s Choice, March 2008
- Pleasant Valley Historic Society Dona Award, August 2007
- Camarillo Rotary Living Treasure Award, April 2003
- President’s Achievement Award, California State University Channel Islands 2001
- Advancing the Status of Women Award, Soroptimists International of Oxnard 2000
- Ventura County Volunteer of the Year Award 2000, National Philanthropy Day
- M. Woman of the Year Award, Mary Health of the Sick 1998
- Grand Marshal Ventura County Fair Parade 1997
- Milton M. Teague Community Service Award, United Way of Ventura County 1995
- Ben E. Nordman Public Service Award, Ventura County Bar Association 1993
- Interface: Children Family Services Public Community Service Award with mother, Amy McAvoy, 1990
Ms. McAvoy's current community affiliations are as follows:
- Livingston Memorial Visiting Nurse Association and LIvingston Caregivers, Chairman of the Board, Board Member
- Livingston Memorial Foundation, Chairman of the Board, Director
- St. John's Hospitals, Community Advisory Board, Board Member
Past community affiliations have been as follows:
- Ventura County Community Foundation, Founding Board Member, Secretary-Treasurer
- Board of Trustees, United Way of Ventura County, Board Member
- Chairman of the Board, Member of the Executive Committee
- California State University Channel Islands President’s Advisory Board, Chairman
- California State University Northridge, Channel Islands Campus, Community Advisory Board, Chairman/Member
- California State University Channel Islands Foundation, Board Member and Secretary/Treasurer
- Interface: Children, Family Services, Board of Directors
- Spanish Hills Golf & Country Club, Member, Founding Board of Governors
- Ventura County Bar Association, Member of the Board of Directors
- California Independent Petroleum Association, Board of Directors.
ADMISSIONS & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- State Bar of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals