Danica Lam is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Her current practice is focused on insurance coverage. Ms. Lam serves as coverage counsel on behalf of leading insurers. She renders coverage opinions in connection with various lines of coverage, advises insurers regarding coverage and reserve evaluations as well as generates innovative action plans for efficient resolution strategies.
In addition to Ms. Lam’s coverage practice, Ms. Lam is an experienced litigator and represents insurance carriers in first-party coverage and bad faith actions as well as declaratory relief, contribution, indemnity and reimbursement suits. Ms. Lam has also represented corporate and individual clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation, including health care privacy class actions, payer provider suits, labor and employment disputes, trademark litigation, contract disputes, fraud claims and tort litigation.
Prior to joining Musick Peeler, Ms. Lam was Of Counsel at a national law firm and a partner at a boutique defense litigation firm. She also served as senior counsel at a regional firm and an associate at an appellate firm in the Los Angeles area.
REPRESENTATIVE RECENT MATTERS
- Tried coverage action and obtained judgment in favor of insurer client; judgement includes recovery of over seven figures in defense fees and costs which insurer client expended in defending the insured in the underlying action.
- Tried bad faith and coverage cases to verdict with consistent favorable results.
- Arbitrated numerous claims on behalf of leading health care provider client in contract disputes with consistent favorable results.
- Obtained dismissal and attorneys’ fees award via ANTI-SLAPP motion - attorney plaintiff made claims of interference torts and bad faith against insurer and law firm clients which replaced him as counsel for the insureds.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Fortune 100 company property owner against a seven figure demand arising from brain injuries sustained at the client’s premises.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a general contractor arising from a subcontractor’s employees’ work related brain injury.
- Obtained summary adjudication regarding the duty to defend on behalf of a professional line insurer against a commercial line insurer which did not cover the insured’s defense in an underlying suit.
- Obtained dismissal via demurrer on behalf of carrier in connection to bad faith, equitable contribution and indemnity action on the ground that four underlying suits were not properly tendered.
- Obtained summary adjudication on behalf of commercial landlord in connection to a tenant’s breach of a 10 year lease and personal guaranty; landlord awarded approximately half a million dollars for the remaining lease term’s unpaid rent.
ADMISSIONS & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California