Geoffrey C. Brethen is a partner in the Firm's Costa Mesa office. Mr. Brethen has represented clients in commercial, labor and employment, trademark, financial, and real estate litigation matters.
- Prepared winning motion for summary adjudication on behalf of hospital against plaintiff's claims for failure to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment, retaliation, including constructive termination, and punitive damages.
- Prepared winning motion for summary judgment on behalf of developer against plaintiff's claim for premises liability.
- Prepared winning motion for summary adjudication on a vendor's duty to defend and indemnify retailer of athletic/sports equipment against plaintiff's claims for damages.
- Co-drafted winning motion for summary adjudication on behalf of hospital against plaintiff's claims for wrongful termination in violation of public policy and disability discrimination.
- In 2016, Mr. Brethen and Jesse Marr convinced a Fresno jury to return a defense verdict in favor of a Musick Peeler sporting goods client despite plaintiff's multiple surgeries and claim of more than $1.8 million in damages.
- In a May 2017 trial involving a suit by a Musick Peeler sporting goods client against a product supplier who had refused to defend the client in an underlying products liability matter, Mr. Brethen and Jesse Marr obtained a $295,000 judgment against the supplier. Musick Peeler's client paid nothing to the plaintiff..
Mr. Brethen has been selected as a "Rising Star" every year from 2015-2019 by Super Lawyers Magazine, an honor that is limited to no more than 2.5% of the attorneys within California.
During law school, Mr. Brethen was an Executive Member of the Moot Court Honors Board, and Chairman and Coordinator of the National Criminal Procedure Tournament.
ADMISSIONS & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- William P. Gray Legion Lex Inn of Court, Member