INTERNATIONAL / PACIFIC RIM
Musick Peeler’s Pacific Rim Practice Group counsels an array of Asia-based companies investing in the U.S. as well as domestic companies that wish to expand their business operations to Asia. The Group provides strategic advice and technical expertise on business transactions, including:
We advise the gamut of business enterprises, from small start-up companies to multinational publicly traded corporations. Our clients include businesses in banking, high-tech, Internet, real estate development, medical device, health care, automotive, pharmaceuticals, renewable energy and bio tech industries. We have a number of bilingual attorneys who are proficient in Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Cantonese and Japanese.
- Corporate finance and mergers & acquisitions
- Intellectual property protection and litigation
- Litigation and arbitration
- Real estate acquisition, finance and development
- Cross-border commercial and strategic alliance transactions
- Oil and gas, renewable energy and mining
We advise clients regarding the investment climate, strategic partnering and particular constraints and advantages of Asian commerce, particularly, those dealing with the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Singapore.
Attorneys in the Pacific Rim Practice Group have also assisted companies in the Americas with the following activities:
- Assisted a Shanghai listed public company acquiring its U.S. customer in an asset purchase transaction.
- Assisted a world top five electronic manufacturing service company, publicly listed in Thailand, in acquisition of U.S. health care and defense related companies.
- Assisted a Taiwan publicly held BBQ grill manufacturer in acquiring the national chain of Barbeques Galore from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
- Assisted the largest Asian EDS company in acquisition of five U.S. technology companies in a single merger transaction.
- Assisted a Hong Kong broker-dealer in structured finance transactions, raising more than $100 million.
- Assisted the sale of an office skyscraper held by the U.S. subsidiary of a global plastics manufacturing giant.
- Defended the Chinese parent company and its U.S. subsidiary in a complex licensing contractual dispute against MPEG LA.
- Prosecuted patent infringement actions against U.S. mass merchandisers for infringement of home furnishing related patents.
- Defended a local general contractor and the subsidiary of an Asian food company against a well known publicly held Asian hotel chain in a failed hotel joint venture dispute.
- Resolved a dispute among the heirs of a successful founder of a multinational corporation, involving assets across China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, the U.S. and Europe.
- Assisted a Taiwan based electronic company in acquisition of manufacturing facility in Mexico and planning of global products shipment.
- Defended a China based company in a product liability action brought by domestic insurance companies.
- Assisted an Asia based marine transport company in resolving labor dispute with union workers.
- Prosecuted a fraud case on behalf of Chinese investors against promoters of hotel development projects.
- Arbitrated on behalf of the Asian licensee, a dispute involving business software licensed by a U.S. software giant.
- Assisted a domestic electronic gaming company in planning global distribution network and dealing with corporate inversion issues in conjunction with international tax counsels and accountants.
- Assisted a Chinese owned Peruvian casino in going public in the U.S. through reverse merger.
- Assisted a globally known Asian charity in obtaining tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represented a Chinese bank in financing a renewable energy project.
- Represented Chinese, Indonesian and Japanese real estate investors buying and selling real property in the United States.
Clients of the Pacific Rim Practice Group also benefit from the proficiency of Musick Peeler's 100-plus attorneys who provide a full range of legal services covering: Academic institutions, Appellate, Construction, Corporate, Environmental & Public Law, Financial Institutions, Health Care, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Litigation, Oil & Gas/Energy, Real Estate, Tax & Employee Benefits and Trusts & Estates.
In addition, Musick Peeler is a member of the International Alliance of Law Firms, a worldwide network of business law firms providing global expertise to our clients.